Involvement in an automobile accident is a traumatic event. Not only must victims cope with the profound pain and loss resulting from their injury, but often they and their families must navigate through a complex and confusing maze of legal and insurance-related issues.
If you have been injured in a car accident, we can help. The following checklist of 10 tips have been compiled over our many years of experience in protecting the interests of injured victims and their families:
- Notify police. Report the accident.
- Notify your insurer of the accident. To claim statutory accident benefits, you must notify your insurer of your intent within seven days of the accident, or as soon after as is feasible considering your injury.
- File benefit forms. Benefit application forms must be filed with the insurer within 30 days of your receiving them. If your injuries prevent you from filing within the requisite 30 day period, you must file the forms as soon as is reasonably possible.
- Check for other insurance coverage. Through your work, a private plan or other source.
- Don’t delay. Any lawsuit to enforce the payment of benefits must be commenced within two years from the time the insurer refused to pay.
- Keep copies of all documents that relate to your case. This includes copies of your insurance policies, repairs, prescription receipts, accident benefit proof of claim forms, doctors’ notes, wage verification forms, T4 slips, etc.
- Record out of pocket expenses. Retain receipts for expenses, as they are needed to document your claim.
- Document any witnesses. Record the contact information of witnesses to the accident.
- Document your injuries/medical condition. Notify your family doctor of your injury and retain all medical information from your treatment team in relation to the accident.
- Consult a lawyer. A lawyer will help assess whether you have a case suitable for litigation, and the extent of your entitlement to benefits and compensation.
We are committed to helping victims through these difficult times by providing effective, efficient, and compassionate legal representation. To learn more, please download our free brochure on car accident claims.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, please contact our personal injury lawyers today. Consultations are free and we would be honoured to help you.